How to fix CD ROM Drive Problems Desktops or Laptops?
Can't find DVD drive Windows 10? Where is CD drive on my Computer? How to Install Windows 10 From USB Flash Drive DVD? Why is my CD drive not working?Subject: CD ROM Drive - Sub Subject: Desktops or Laptops
Date: 7/9/2019 Status: SOLVED
3 answered / 1 voted, 12 viewed.
See if CD drive is recognized by BIOS
To check if your CD drive is recognized byBIOS, do the following:
- Restart your computer
- On the startup, enter BIOS, by pressing the appropriate key (usually it’s DEL or F10)
- When you enter BIOS, navigate to Storage tab, and then go to Device Configuration and press Enter
- Look for your CD/DVD drive under Device Configuration subscreen
If you can’t find your disc drive under Device Configuration, than your problem is probably hardware-related, so you should contact the tech support, or consider getting a new CD/DVD drive.
But if your drive is detected by BIOS than the problem is software-related, so check some of the following solutions.
Use Device Manager to solve the problem
Once you determined that your disc drive is present in BIOS, and that the problem probably isn’t hardware-related, but your disc drive still doesn’t recognize discs, or it’s not show in theFile Explorer, perform a couple of actions in Device Manger, and maybe you’ll solve the problem:
- Go to Search, type devicemanager and openDevice Manager
- Find DVD/CD-ROM drives section and expand it
- Update disc drive drivers
- If drivers are up to date, next thing we’re going to try is to reinstall the disc drive. To uninstall DVD/CD drive, right click on it and go to Uninstall
- When you uninstall the device, go to Action, and then to Scan for hardware changes
- After the process is finished, your disc drive should appear in the Device Manager again
Can't find DVD drive Windows 10?
- Try uninstalling the device in Dev mgr, wait 2 or 3 minutes and if Windows doesn't cycle though hardware changes, right click any device and select Scan for Hardware changes.
- You might also want to check File and Folder options in File Explorer: press the blue file menu,select Change folder and Serach options select the View tab, is show empty drives selected?
- It would help members if you could post a screen shot of Dev mgr device properties (post the first 4 tabs)
- If it is an unknown device -post the General tab and the Details. On the Details tab, select Hardware IDs from the drop down box
I'm not sure if these suggestions will help. I had a similar issue with a CD drive on a Vista box, turned out to be a hardware issue on the Mobo. The optical drive is really controlled by a few settings (DVD, CD, Writer) and when it doesn't work, it is hard to diagnose.
If the device worked before (recently), it's a Win10 issue, and it might be version specific. There are known issues with AMD graphics drivers, this might extend to the chipset as well - those with Intel boards / CPUs can ignore this part. It's a guess anyway.
If you're comfortable with hardware, you might try removing the optical drive from the box, restarting without it attached, and then shut down, reinstall the optical drive and start up the machine.
Follow instructions in the service manual for your device or on the manufacturer website
Where is CD drive on my Computer?
Playing aCDin Windows 1 Press the Eject button on your discdrive. This is typically located on the front plate of the discdrive, on the bottom-right.
ANSWERS Write an Answer
❝How to fix CD ROM Drive Problems Desktops or Laptops?❞ answers. technician asked first. Total 3 replies.
- Troubleshooting CD ROM drive issues
- Fixing CD ROM drive problems
- CD/DVD drive not working
- Desktop CD ROM drive troubleshooting
- Laptop CD ROM drive issues
- Optical drive troubleshooting
- CD/DVD drive not recognized
- CD ROM drive not reading discs
- DVD drive not working on PC
- Laptop DVD drive not responding
- CD drive not detected in Windows
- CD ROM drive not spinning
- DVD drive not showing in Device Manager
- CD ROM drive error codes
- CD/DVD drive not opening
- Laptop CD drive not playing CDs
- Desktop DVD drive not ejecting
- Fixing CD ROM drive driver problems
- Cleaning CD ROM drive lens
- CD ROM drive firmware update
- Replacing CD ROM drive hardware
- CD ROM drive not responding to button press
- Laptop optical drive troubleshooting
- CD drive not working after Windows update
- Laptop CD ROM drive not booting
- Desktop DVD drive not recognized by BIOS
- CD ROM drive not reading burned discs
- Laptop CD drive not autoplaying CDs
- CD ROM drive not listed in My Computer
- Troubleshooting CD ROM drive power issues
What are some tips for maintaining my plumbing system, and how often should I have it inspected? What are some warning signs of a plumbing emergency, and how can I prepare for one?Plumbing / Maintaining my plumbing system Answers: 5 6
How can I prevent my pipes from freezing in cold weather, and what should I do if they do freeze? What are some common causes of burst pipes, and how can I prevent them?Plumbing / Pipes Answers: 5 5
How can I improve the water pressure in my home, and what are the causes of low water pressure? What are some dangers of high water pressure, and how can I prevent them?Plumbing / Improve the water pressure Answers: 5 6
What are the benefits of installing a tankless water heater, and how does it work? What are some common problems with tankless water heaters, and how can they be fixed?Plumbing / Installing a tankless water heater Answers: 5 5
What is a sewer line inspection, and why do I need one? How can I tell if my sewer line is clogged or damaged, and what should I do about it?Plumbing / Sewer line inspection Answers: 5 6
How do I choose the right size and type of water softener for my home? What are the benefits of having a water softener, and how does it work?Plumbing / Water softener Answers: 5 6
What are some eco-friendly plumbing solutions that I can use in my home? How can I save water and reduce my water bill with plumbing upgrades?Plumbing / Plumbing solutions Answers: 5 6
How can I determine if my water heater needs to be replaced, or if it can be repaired? How often should I replace my water heater, and what are the signs that it is failing?Plumbing / Water heater Answers: 5 6
Can I install a new toilet myself, or should I hire a professional plumber to do it? What are the steps involved in replacing a toilet?Plumbing / Install a new toilet Answers: 5 4
What are the most common plumbing issues in a house, and how can I fix them? What are some signs that I need to call a plumber for help with my plumbing problems?Plumbing / Plumbing issues Answers: 5 8
Solving Problems with Your Computer: Troubleshooting TechniquesAudio Problems: If sound is not audiblePress Fn+Up Arrow several timesClick the speaker18
Asus VC65-C Series FeaturesVivoMini MiniBarabone PC Optical Drive (on selected models)Your VivoMini’s optical drive may support several disc formats s12
A motherboard (alternatively known as the mainboard, main circuit board, system board, baseboard, planar board or logic board, or colloquially, a mobo25
Dell Poweredge R230 Troubleshooting system startup failureIf you boot the system to the BIOS boot mode after installing an operating system from the U25
Zion Canyon is a stunning canyon located in southwestern Utah, USA. It is part of Zion National Park, which covers over 229,000 acres and is known for3
HP Laptop Pavilion Notebook PC Troubleshooting Techniques HP Laptop Pavilion Notebook PC Audio ProblemsIf sound is not audiblePress Fn+Up Arrow s5